Your Ad Here

Monday, July 23, 2007

Guatemala

Guatemala is dubbed as the “Land of the Eternal Spring” mainly because of the great weather all year round. The country incorporates some of the most spectacular Mayan archaeological sites. Guatemala has around 21 different ethnic groups, speaking some 23 languages.

Personally, I feel that travel in Guatemala is not very safe because there is a relatively high level of violent crimes committed aginst foreigners. Intercity travel after sunset should be avoided and travellers should exervise extra caution on the roads in rural areas.

Nevertheless, nature has formed some astonishing sights, such as volcano peaks, subtropical forests and acient, sulphurous lakes.

I must admit that I'm really not a huge fan of local food. In addition, the Chinese restaurant does not serve authentic Chinese cuisine. However, I found a Korean restaurant that serves the best Bulgogi. Its really tasty and I call it the "Mountain Bulgogi".


Volcan Pacaya

Volcan Pacaya is located just south of Guatemala City in Amatitlan. It is one of the most active volcanoes in Central America and most frequently climbed volcano in Guatemala. I took a horse ride halfway up the volcano and I thought I lost my legs when I tried to climb up to the crater to see the lava.

Puerto de San Jose

Puerto de San Jose is situated along the Pacific ocean in the south-central of Guatemala. I visited this area 4 times. Mostly to eat sashimi. There are many activities one can engage in such as fishing, surfing, etc.


Antigua

Antigua may be the most outstanding and best preserved colonial city in Spanish America. Thousands of tourists from around the world flock to Antigua every year to enjoy its natural beauty and historic monuments. It is definitely a city of charm and color.

Antigua is situated 1,500 meters above sea level, in an earthquake prone region and is overlooked by the spectacular Aqua Volcano. The city encompasses the required services from hotels to cafes to banks, etc.

Lake Atitlan

Lake Atitlan is famous for its natural beauty and colourful Mayan villages. It is about two and a half hour drive from Guatemala City. I took a boat ride to visit the nearby villages, which gave me an opportunity to appreciate the lake.

It’s a pity I still did not have the chance to visit Tikal, the largest of the ancient ruined cities of the Maya civilisation as it calls for a plane ride and I do not have a partner to accompany me on the trip.

2 comments:

Catarina said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Lake Atitlan. If you are looking for authentic Chinese food, the is a restaurant called "Las Chinitas" in Panajachel, owned and operated by a Chinese friend of mine, named Ling. Best of luck on your adventures!

Unknown said...

Hi! I randomly came aross your blog because I was trying to search for a Korean restaurant in Guatemala city (where I'm living now). Is the one you mention in the city, and if so, could you tell me where it is? Sounds good...Thanks!

Blog Archive